Tuesday, December 26, 2006

My first visit to Tokyo was something out of a Sci Fi film. I wasn’t expecting much other then a big city, what I got was something else.

Coming from Sapporo Japan (5th largest city in Japan) I thought I knew “big cities.” Standing on the cold platform of Sapporo Station I wondered how much different this new metropolis they call “Tokyo” will be to my Sapporo. Riding the train out of the station made me feel a sense of loss as I went past familiar places and stations. I was leaving a home, bound for adventure in places I’ve never been before.

The train trip itself was nothing special. In brief: “farm…. Farm…. Trees…. Farm….. car…. Farm…. Tunnel…. More farms” Yeah… that’s the same Japan we all know. It’s a lot of farmland and housing. The Tunnel was cool though…. Well ok for about 2 minutes. This tunnel I speak of was the tunnel that connects Hokkaido to Honshu. It’s an underground tunnel that goes on and on. The cool thing about it is that it was created and that it’s there.

The whole trip lasted about ten hours with three neck breaking transfers (i.e. 4 min to get from one train to the other) and one really bad fish bento. The best part of the trip, however, was the last transfer…

Riding the Shikansen (bullet Train).

They don’t call this thing the bullet train for nothing. With its long nose and aerodynamically shaped hull, this puppy shot me down the east side of Japan at 201 kph (124.90 mph). Riding in a bullet train is like riding is like riding in an airplane. The stewards go up and down with snacks (you can buy) and the seats recline easily. What’s different is that, on a bullet train, there’s twice as much leg room, you’ll never have to turn off your cell phone or electronic device, you can call anyone from the on board phone (if you don’t have a cell phone), and on some trains there’s a vending machine. Yes… Japan has come along nicely. In fact, both tink and I think AmTrack could take a lesson from Japan!

Anyway the bullet train pulled into “Tokyo” “Tokyo des.” The excitement built up for me as I stepped off the train and onto Tokyo Station’s platform. My first visit to Tokyo was something out of a Sci Fi film. I wasn’t expecting much other then a big city, what I got was something else. I had to get from Tokyo Station to Gotanda station. Using the Yamanote loop line I got on and rode one of the most futuristic trains I’ve seen yet. On the outside these were just the same commuter trains you get in Sapporo, on the inside, however, there was two televisions. One broadcasted t.v. commercials and the other gave you a map of the Yamanote line and the precise time at which you would arrive at your station… AMAZING!

The city was big and full of lights and sounds that big cities have. The sectors of the city showed different sides of Tokyo’s attitude. “You could get lost very easily if you weren’t careful” I thought. There’s a side of Tokyo for everyone too ya know. There’s a historical side, an Otaku (anime) side, Electronics side, an American side, Euro side, etc etc. anyone can fit in here and get a job if they needed too.

Tink and I were to meet at the KFC outside Gotanda. Those that have been to our hotel before told me it was pretty easy to find… No joking either! There it was. It wasn’t a long wait till Tink arrived. We trudged along till we found the Ryokan (Japanese style hotel) and checked into our little room with tatami mats and a little bathroom and a little (separate) toilet.

The next day we toured the Ueno Park and walked around. Late that night we met up with our friend Alan who took us out for some dinner. We really appreciated that too! We look forward to our next time in Tokyo coming up soon (in a couple of days). Anyway that was a little taste of my adventure.

~J out

No comments: